family lawyer edinburgh intervention order

Intervention Order Lawyer Edinburgh

Intervention Order Edinburgh

If you need advice and assistance in relation to an Intervention Order, we can help. An Intervention Order can be used to handle a single situation, such as selling the house of someone who has lost the capacity to carry out action themselves.

Contact Family Law Edinburgh today to discuss Intervention Orders and find out how we can help you. Contact our solicitors today on 0131 322 1692 or complete our online enquiry form.

What is an Intervention Order?

When a person loses the ability to make decisions for themselves and to manage their own affairs they are considered to 'lack capacity'. An Intervention Order is temporary and can be sought to deal with a single situation such as selling a house whilst a Guardianship Order would transfer ongoing power to handle someone’s affairs. Having a Power of Attorney in place before a person becomes incapacitated or is unable to handle their own affairs can help to prevent the need for a Guardianship or Intervention Order.

Lack of capacity can occur through the ageing process or as a result of an accident. In situations where the person's lack of capacity is permanent, and there is no continuing Power of Attorney in place, a Guardianship Order may need to be sought by family members or friends who wish to have the ability to make decisions on the adult's behalf. However, in some situations it may not be necessary for a full Guardianship Order to be obtained with ongoing powers, and an Intervention Order with limited specific powers may be more appropriate.

Our friendly team of family lawyers understand that this can be a very trying time for a family. We have years of experience in these areas of family law and can support you through the process.

What is the difference between an Intervention Order and a Guardianship Order?

Whether you need a Guardianship Order or an Intervention Order will depend on your specific circumstances and needs. An intervention order allows you to make one-off or specific decisions on behalf of an adult with incapacity. For example, an intervention order may be used where a decision needs to be made about medical treatment at a time when they are unable to make the decision for themselves. Decisions can also be financial in nature, for example the decision as to whether the adult’s property should be sold.

On the other hand, a Guardianship Order allows you to make ongoing decisions on behalf of an adult with incapacity, or to manage their affairs on their behalf. This could be things such as paying their bills or making welfare decisions about where they live as well as other personal matters.

How Can Family Law Edinburgh Help?

Our family law solicitors can advise you about the process involved in seeking an Intervention Order and whether seeking such an order in the first place is the most appropriate course of action. An application requires to be lodged with the local Sheriff Court and a hearing will be assigned. It is normally the case that a family member or carer seeks an Intervention Order although it is open to any person to make an application to the court.

Contact Family Law Edinburgh for Intervention Order Assistance

We appreciate that if you are having to consider such legal issues as 'incapacity' that you are likely to have a family member or friend who has perhaps suffered an accident or has degenerated in their condition. We handle all enquiries sensitively and professionally. Please contact us to discuss your needs and find out how we can help.

Contact our solicitors today on 0131 322 1692 or complete our online enquiry form.

Enquire now

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

Please tick the box below

Invalid Input